NBS Debit Mastercard lets you shop anywhere you usually would with EFTPOS, PLUS anywhere Mastercard is accepted. And because it links directly to your nominated NBS account, you use your own money to buy things in New Zealand, online, over the phone and around the world.
You will need to nominate the accounts that you would like to access with you NBS Debit Mastercard.
NBS Debit Mastercards have contactless technology.
contactless technology - lets you make faster purchases without having to swipe, insert your pin or provide your signature for purchases up to $80. It's faster and makes checkout easier than ever. Look for the Mastercard contactless terminals. To use, just tap symbol on the reader checkout. Listen for the beep. A green light will tell you when the transaction has been accepted.
You can use your NBS Debit card at over 34 million retailers, and over 1.9 million ATMs, in more than 210 countries.
Just look for the Mastercard symbol
Mastercard® and the Mastercard brand mark are registered trademarks of Mastercard International Incorporated.
Your NBS Debit card works the same as a credit card online or over the phone - the difference . . . money comes directly out of your everyday account.
Contactless is a payment method that lets you make faster purchases without having to swipe, insert your PIN or provide your signature for purchases up to $80.
It’s faster and makes checkout easier than ever. Look for the Mastercard contactless terminals.
To use just tap the symbol on the reader at checkout. Listen for the beep. A green light will tell you when the transaction has been completed.
Transactions over $80 require your PIN or signature to complete the purchase.
A microchip and radio antenna embedded in the NBS Debit card transmits your payment details wirelessly to a high-speed reader at checkout. The reader then verifies your transaction with NBS through Mastercard’s reliable network and indicates approval almost instantly.
Encryption technology on the NBS Debit card makes using contactless at checkout as safe as swiping your card. It also has built in safeguards to help prevent unwanted purchases.
• It never leaves your hand at checkout
• It must be extremely close to the reader to work
• It only bills you once - even if you tap twice by mistake
If your card's been lost, stolen or damaged, call us as soon as possible on 0800 101 627 or +64 3 548 9928 (collect) to cancel the card.
If you find the card after it's been cancelled you'll need to destroy it.
There are no restrictions if you are over 14.
NBS Debit Mastercards can be issued if you under 14, but you will need to get a form signed by a parent or guardian first.
For your safety and security, you may be asked to provide your card security code. This is the 3 digit number printed on the signature panel on the back of your card (CVV).
The intended purpose of the CVV is to provide added security when making purchases over the internet - it helps to verify that you’re in possession of the card, as the code should not be known to anyone other than you as the card holder.
Do not provide your CVV when processing a payment in person. It should never be required and if someone tells you otherwise, it is a reason to be highly suspicious.
A pre-authorisation is a transaction that:
- Checks to ensure that the card does not have a lost or stolen status placed on it at the time of authorisation
- Checks you have available funds and reserves the funds for a period of up to five working days
All transactions without PIN present will process as pre-authorised.
For example - contactless, online purchases, mail order/telephone order, card not present.
NBS Debit Mastercard Fees
|Annual Card Fee
|Replacement Card Fee
New Zealand Transaction Fees
|NBS ATM Transaction or Enquiry
|Other Bank ATM Transaction or Enquiry
|EFTPOS Transaction (including contactless, online and MOTO)
International Transaction Fees
|Offshore Service Margin (of the $NZ value of the transaction)
| EFTPOS Transaction (including contactless, online and MOTO)
| ATM Transaction
| ATM Enquiry
Please note: International ATMs may apply a surcharge, this should be drawn to your attention before you proceed with your transaction. This surcharge will be added to your withdrawal, converted to NZ dollars (if required) and debited against your account.
Some merchants may apply a charge for using contactless or for internet transactions; it is the merchants responsibility to notify you of any additional charges at the time of sale. These are usually added to the purchase price.
MOTO - Mail Order/Telephone Order
All fees and charges are subject to change.
Offshore service margins explained
The offshore margin fee is charged by us when you use your card to make overseas transaction. For overseas transactions made using your NBS Debit Mastercard Offshore Service Margins of 2.25% of the converted NZ dollar amount of the transaction are charged. For purchases refunded back to your NBS Debit Mastercard Offshore Service Margins of 2.25% are charged to your account. The margins that are charged may differ from the margins that were charged for the original transaction due to fluctuations in the conversion rate. The converted amount and the Offshore Service Margin will be debited from your nominated bank account and detailed on your statement.
Subject to your available credit limit and available funds in your nominated account(s), your daily transaction limits are:
- Up to $3,000 daily for Online EFT transactions from all accounts that can be accessed by your card
- $3,000 daily for ATM cash withdrawals from any account, or combination of accounts, that can be accessed by your card
- Up to $150 daily for contactless transactions from all accounts that can be accessed by your card
- Up to $3,000 daily for merchant transactions from all accounts that can be accessed by your card
- Other EFT transactions from all accounts that can be accessed by your card, up to a maximum of $3,000 less the amount of any ATM cash withdrawals made in the same day.
- Always sign your new card as soon as you get it
- Keep your NBS Debit Mastercard in a safe place
- Choose a safe PIN, do not share your PIN numbers
- Use different PIN numbers for different cards
- Never let anyone else use your card
- If you lose your NBS Debit Mastercard contact us immediately
- Check your bank statement regularly to make sure they match the transactions you have made
- Destroy any old documents or receipts that display your card number
- Remember NBS will never ask you by email for your secure banking information
- Never email your NBS Debit Mastercard details or share them with someone you don't know over the phone
- Always check for a secure browser connection before entering your card details
- Make sure the online shop is reputable
- Read the fine print relating to any transaction before you provide your card details
- Take particular care when entering into promotions such as “free trials”
- Before completing your purchase, check the online store has a return and refund policy
- Only enter your details if you are ready to make a purchase
- If you purchase something online, print out a copy of the transaction for your records
- For your safety and security, you may be asked to provide your card security code. This is the 3 digit number printed on the signature panel on the back of your card (CVV)
- The intended purpose of the CVV is to provide added security when making purchases over the internet - it helps to verify that you’re in possession of the card, as the code should not be known to anyone other than you as the card holder